So you have just moved into your nice, new home. Congratulations.
You’ve unloaded all your boxes, unpacked a majority of your stuff and perhaps even introduced yourself to some of your neighbours.
Right now is the best time to walk through a checklist of ways to save money on your home. You know why? Because starting this checklist as early as possible allows you to start saving money sooner, rather than later. It also helps you develop this into a habit faster.
Here are 12 Ways to Save on Energy Use in your New Home:
1. Install space heating and/or cooling only in the rooms that require it or use a centralised system and ensure it is zoned.
2. Create a lighting design strategy that utilizes natural light and use LED bulbs where needed.
3. Consider investing in a renewable energy system, like a solar system.
4. Install ceiling fans in most rooms.
5. Check all toilets and under-sink plumbing for leaks or constant running.
6. Choose energy efficient appliances, even if you have to pay more up front (it helps you in the long term).
7. Install LED light bulbs if you can.
8. Air-seal your home.
9. Almost all home entertainment systems draw stand-by power – turn them off when not in use.
10. Install a ‘smart’ meter.
Hat Tip to The Simple Dollar